Saturday, August 29, 2009

Bath Time for Lily!

Today was a rough day. We're realizing that everything we can possibly do for Annaleigh is done. We had a nice viewing, picked out a headstone, and packed up her belongings. So now were left wanting to do more for her but there's nothing left to do. And that's hard to get used to. But then...

Lily got a bath! Not a gentle sponge bath while still in her isolette, but a legit in a tub bath! What an absolutely perfect cure for sadness! Her nurse Amelia, who was actually Lily's first nurse on the night she was born, decided it was time to give her a real bath. She got a small tub and filled it with warm water and slowly lowered the Bug into it. We had no inkling that she would like it, but she actually seemed to enjoy it.

Amelia held Lily's head up and lowered her body into the water up to her waist. Brooke soaped up Lily and gently washed her down. Lily splashed around and looked confused. I took pictures and laughed with glee. It was the most adorably thing I've ever seen! After a few minutes, Amelia lifted her out of the water and Brooke shampooed her hair. After a gentle towel drying, Brooke spread lotion all over Lily's back, arms, and legs.

Both of us got to hold Lily while she was completely naked. Getting the chance to feel that close with her was just beyond words great. And not only was she without any clothes but she was also without her feeding tube and her breathing tubes. She was breathing completely on her own for about 10 minutes during the whole bath. And when she was hooked back up to the monitors, the numbers showed that she was doing great!

Charlie had a milestone of his own today too. While he was out for a snuggle in my arms, he was fussing around with his hands and managed to put his thumb in his mouth. After a brief bit of confusion, he started sucking away like a champ! Charlie sucked his thumb! And after a few minutes, he accidentally took it out of his month and got very upset. He started to silently cry and he thrust his arms around. He didn't calm down until I gave him his pacifier, which he happily sucked for the whole time he was out.

It was just a fantastic visit. We both just laughed so hard watching Lily's bath and Charlie's thumb-sucking. Once again, the babies were able to give us a much-needed break from our sadness.

In another note, we haven't yet posted about the memorial service that the NICU staff held for Annaleigh. Sister Mary Jane, the St. Peters chaplain, organized everything. It was held at 7 am between nurse shifts so both the day and night nurses could attend. Sister Mary Jane made up little memory cards for her out of scrap booking materials; they had typed out quotes about love and loss on them. Plus, each card had a little purple butterfly and some colorful gems glued on them. She gave a very nice eulogy and a few of the nurses read some Bible verses. We watched the tribute video I made and said a few prayers and then everyone hugged us. It was perfect. We would have loved Sister Mary Jane to preside over her funeral services but unfortunately she was away and couldn't be there. But it was a very nice service and we were touched by all the nurses who showed up. Once again, the staff of the NICU showed us just how amazing they are. We really, truly are blessed to have found such an amazing place to take care of our babies.


Charlie loves his thumb!


My two best girls, happy as can be.


I cannot even begin to tell you how great this felt. I want to do it every day!!!


Lily got a grip on Brooke's hair and just wouldn't let go!


She looks like she was actually enjoying herself. We were told to expect them to fuss and be scared during their first bath, but the Bug seemed content to be messaged and pampered. It was her own spa treatment!


When it was all over, she was just so stunned by everything that she laid there and looked up at us as if to ask "what just happened to Lily?"


Afterwards, we had to make sure Lily was nice and warm, so I held her in my arms for body heat and we covered her in a couple blankets. We were so, so happy from the bath time fun!

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for bath time and thumb sucking! (And for bringing Mommy and Daddy smiles!)

Lauren said...

Adorable! I'm glad to see that they are taking care of you as much as you are taking care of them.

akoto said...

There is just so much incredible joy in these pictures. What wonderful milestones for them both!

Unknown said...

Sister Mary Jane is such a wonderful woman. She was such a comfort during our days in St. Peters. The memorial sounds lovely and it was so nice they held during the shift change!

Great news about Lily's bath and Charlie's thumb sucking. Shuch little things bring such joy.

Hopeful34 said...

Your babies are gorgeous!! Absolutely gorgeous. I'm so glad they are bringing smiles to your faces.

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are so gorgeous! I's surprised that Lily didn't mind her bath. You're right; it seemed like a spa treatment for her! :) Charlie looks so cute with his thumb in his mouth. These pictures get better and better. Congrats on having a few good days here and some beautiful kids.

Cheryl

Anonymous said...

I just love seeing the pictures of such a happy family every morning. The thumb sucking was too cute and the pic of Lily pulling Brooke's hair just made me laugh. Despite how much you have gone through I love to see that big smile both on Brooke and Joe's face. You two are doing remarkable, you are fantastic parents and I just wish you all the best. I am continuing to keep your entire family in my prayers along with AnnaLeigh.

Doris Rutherford said...

One thing that I have noticed and that I have yet to mention if that it is so apparent the love you two have for each other. The gorgeous picture of the two of you and Lily after her bath, where you both are looking at her adoringly and holding hands, actually brought tears to my eyes.

There is no greater gift you can give a child that to love each other.

And the babies!!! I adore when babies suck their thumbs... so cute. Charlie is too stinking cute! You know boys, always about comfort stuff. Lily, quite the drama queen... "a spa day, I'm exhausted".... Love her.

I think of all of you every day! Can't wait to see those babies in person. I love that baby smell, cures so many things.

Love to you all... Doris

Stephanie said...

Adorable! I love that second picture from the end with Lily looking stunned- it's priceless.

Rebecca, from CT said...

Both babies look great!! Hope Charlie gets to enjoy a submersion bath soon!! And as for the hair pulling...I'm sure there is more of that to come!! Too cute. Love the last picture of the three of you!!!

mrsolsenk12 said...

How wonderful! Bathtime is always so much fun. It looks like she enjoyed herself. Yay for Charlie. Thumb sucking is a good thing.

Lori (o: said...

These are awesome pictures! They seriously made my day. What an adventure for sweet little Lily! She looked like she got squeaky clean. Love the progress they're making. My daughter Chloe was 4 lbs when she was born so your babies are really starting to resemble what she was like. Takes me back. They are going to just grow like little sprouts now. So wonderful.

Meg said...

Those pictures are precious. I am so glad the bug had such a wonderful first real bath! It looks like you and Brooke enjoyed it even more than she did. :)

Anonymous said...

I am so glad they are bringing smiles on your faces! They are absolutely adorable and I love all th pictures!

love, Emilie

Courtney in CT said...

Oh my goodness - they are getting SO BIG!! That first picture of Charlie just made me melt, and Lily looks simply perfect in your arms. Love the latest pictures, and the good news. I've got the biggest cheesy grin on my face after reading this post! Keep it up, Lily & Charlie!!!

-Courtney

Melissa said...

Wow they are looking so big now! Congratulations on hitting two more milestones... tubby time and thumb sucking!

- Melissa (multiplemammas)

Anonymous said...

Came across your blog and one minute I have tears and the next smiles. Thank you for sharing. God Bless you and your family!

Tamara said...

Oh my, look at how big they are growing. :) I love the pic of Lily pulling Brooke's hair. You look so happy.

Quince Family said...

Your photos are always good but this post just might have some of my all-time faves! You all look so good, so strong, and so full of life. I can't tell you how much I admire you both for being such strong parents already. Your babies are very lucky! And I really can't believe how big they are now...soon they will be home for unlimited snuggle time!
Melissa (Shady06 from Multiple Mamas)

Anonymous said...

Yeah for Lily and Charlie! What a great post, and these are some of your best pictures by far; I especially love the ones of you and your little Lily post-bath.

With warmest thoughts for you and your babies and continued prayers for sweet Annaleigh. :)

Rachel (bumpie)

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that those two little sweethearts bring such big smiles to your faces after all you have gone through. They are beautiful & you are so blessed. Congrats!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am sooooooooooo happy for all of you. Suck that thumb Mr. Charlie Chunk. Enjoy it. Splash and splash Miss Lily Bug. Enjoy these milestones my sweet precious angels - they make you that much closer to coming home and being spoiled.

Joe and Brooke you look so happy with your precious angels. Smile for Charlie and Lily because you are making Annaleigh smile. You are fullfilling each of your childrens needs. Be proud and happy with that.

All My Love, Auntie :) xoxoxoxox

Andrea said...

Awesome pictures!!!! How sweet of the NICU to have a memorial service for Annaleigh! Sounds like you guys have a great NICU staff!!

Andrea
edasmommy0709 from Multiple Mamas

Anonymous said...

The picture of Lily pulling Brooke's hair is gorgeous! Conveys such pure joy.

Theresa said...

I love the smiles and laughter that shine through in these pictures! It makes my heart smile to see it!

Jen said...

This last shot of the 3 of you is just beautiful! Like-get me a tissue beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing all of these precious moments with us.

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

I love that picture of Lily holding Brooke's hair. Brooke looks incredibly happy...a nice sight to see. :)

Melissa Ann said...

That photo of Brooke with Lily pulling her hair is absolutely gorgeous!