Friday, July 10, 2009

Day 13

A few days ago, Annaleigh was the weakest of the trio. She needed the most attention from the nurses, was on lots of medicines, and had her mommy and me extra worried. The last couple days, Charlie has been having a lot of episodes, his breathing has been sporadic, and he remains the only baby still on the respirator. And now it seems that Lily has gotten jealous of all the attention being on her siblings.

Dr. Hiatt informed us today that Lily didn’t respond at all to the PDA medicine. The PDA is the extra ductus valve in her heart. Basically, it’s causing a heart murmur and fluid build-up in her lungs. So for the time being, she’s not feeding and she will be getting some extra drugs to help her lungs. If the valve doesn’t close on its own, they will try another course of medicine later on. There’s a chance she’ll need to be put back onto the respirator.

The doctor also said repeatedly that this is most likely nothing to worry too much about, and that it should resolve itself without any major complications. His exact words were “everything is under control.” Nonetheless, we are worried about Little Lily Bug. It’s our job to worry, I guess.

Charlie is doing well today, though he’s still having a number of episodes. Annaleigh’s ultrasound results from yesterday came back nicely; the clot in her brain is no worse and is starting to break up. She will have follow-up ultrasounds every week until it comes back completely clean. She’s now only an ounce under her birth weight— you’re almost there baby girl!

Otherwise, all is normal at the NICU. Brooke and I are getting a bit loopy from all the car-riding. We’re planning on a different sort of day tomorrow; we’re going for a visit, then to dinner at a local pizza place and a movie at a local theatre, followed by a return visit. My Aunt Linda and my grandparents gave us a really thoughtful visa gift card, so we’re having a date-night on them! So thanks Lin and Lucy and Freddie! That was the best possible gift!

Finally, two updates for you. First, my dad is doing much better. Turns out, he has a bleeding ulcer, which is debilitating but treatable. So he should be home from the hospital in a matter of days. Thanks to everyone for inquiring. Second: Lauren gave birth to Daniel Lawrence King last night. He was 8 pounds 15 ounces, and from the looks of it, he’s going to be a lady-killer! Now Lily and Annaleigh have prom dates in Daniel and Ryan!

Brooke’s contribution: On the way home from the hospital this afternoon we stopped at Babies R Us and purchased bedding for the babies. We were originally going to get them all the same sets, but now that we know them we felt compelled to get them bedding that fits their personalities. Lily’s bedding is covered with lady bugs (for our Lily Bug); Annaleigh’s, which was chosen by Daddy, is purple with butterflies and bows; Charlie’s is blue with moons and stars all over, since we know how much he likes his rest. I am in love with it all and can’t wait until the babies are home to use it!



Lily does NOT like being off the respirator. (yup, my 13-day-old daughter just gave me the finger. I'm so proud.)

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Your bedding choices sound so cute! Little Lily seems to have quite the personality. ;-) Hopefully that PDA will close soon and she'll perk up quickly.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brooke and Joe.
Just a quick note to let you know that I think of all 5 of you every day. I read the blog every night before I go to sleep to see what is going on with all of you. I just wanted you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers daily. The bedding sounds adorable and I am so glad that you choose different things for each of your babies to suit their personalities. How quickly they develop personalities! O and get used to it... someone is always gonna may you worry. They take turns doing that. I used to wonder if everything couldn't be ok just for one day, without something / someone to cause me worry.

With much Love, Doris

Michele from FTHS said...

Oh my goodness. I love the pic of Lily's response to dear ol' Dad. Having worked with you, Joe, I can relate. Just kidding. You and Brooke are one of a kind amazing. Stay strong Little D's. You three have come so far.

Michele from FTHS said...

PS> Glad to hear your Dad is on the road to recovery.

Anonymous said...

I think Lily gave you the finger because as you said - she was jealous of the other two so she figured she'd give you something to talk about her with. She's no dummy... She's feisty and we need and love feisty... Go Lily!!!
Just give Daddy some reassurance here that you still love him...

All My Love Always, Auntie :)
xoxoxoxoxoxoox

The Deans's said...

Hi there.I've been reading your blog and so happy to hear everything is going well. I wanted to let you know our baby Kai had a PDA surgery at almost 8 months old. The docs had thought it would close on it's own but it didn't. The original diagnosis was a small to moderate PDA, but it turned out to be extremely large (after a 3rd opinion) He just had surgery yesterday a.m. and is home today, only 1 night in the hospital. I've done tons of research on this over the last 8 months so if you want to chat please let me know! Bottom line is, it is a very routine surgery should your little one need it and not to worry. The one lucky thing on your side is that the younger the preemie the more likely they will respond to the medication. But if she does need surgery, rest assured it's less invasive than you probably think!

Thinking of you all!

Sonja Deans
www.deanscrew.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Aw... go babies! The bedding sounds adorable and the babies are holding on and looking cuter than ever. I'm so glad that your dad, Joe, is doing better. Enjoy your date night... I'd say you deserve it. :) Thanks for the updates!
Cheryl

Kate said...

You don't know me, but I read your blog and pray for your sweet babies everyday. I start my day with your updates and a good cry. I can't wait for the day you bring your precious brood home!

Anonymous said...

You don't know me but I was a reader of your food blog, and saw the link to this blog. I want to say how tremendously strong I think you both are, and I am keeping you all in my prayers.

for Terri
Quebec, Canada

Anonymous said...

we lived 40 minutes away from the nicu...the ride is dizzying and being far away from your hearts is gut wrenching. you both are so strong, and you'll stay that way because you'll match the strength of your little ones. seeing your pictures and reading your stories brings me back to the hardest time of my life; but now 19 months later, i can tell you that it'll make you amazing parents and it'll prove the strength of your bond in marriage. you and the babies are in my prayers.
-april (private multiples board april062604) mom to dylan & cassidy 26 weekers

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

Can't wait to see the bedding...it all sounds SO cute!

Enjoy your date night tonight. You guys deserve a break and some time for just the two of you.

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

Oops...forgot to say I'm glad your dad is doing well!

Stacie said...

Love that picture of Lily. LOVE IT! :-)