Saturday, October 10, 2009

Routines

It's been three days now since we've last posted and I can honestly say that there just hasn't been time to sit down and write a new update. People have been telling us again and again how busy we were going to be once the babies were home and now I can say beyond any doubt whatsoever-- they were so right!

Lily and Charlie are doing so, so well here at home. They're taking their bottles as close to regularly as possible, and they're sleeping between meals most of the time (except in the middle of the night, when the both seem to be quite nocturnal). Their alarms go off occasionally, mostly when they're eating, but the episodes have never lasted more than just a few seconds. Most of the alarms are caused by loose leads or loose wires and a little readjusting is all we need to quiet them down.

Brooke and I are adapting to our new lives better than we could have expected. Brooke spends her days with the babies. She usually has to handle two or three feedings by herself while I'm at work and most of the time Charlie is okay eating an hour or so after Lily, which makes things easier for everyone. Between meals, there's usually just enough time for baths and tummy time, and then the whole process starts over again.

As for me, coming home from work is just about the greatest thing in the world. I rush home, wash up and change my clothes, and then spend my evenings, nights, and early mornings with my babies. And even though I'm not exactly sleeping as much as I'm used to (or much at all), I think it's safe to say that I couldn't be happier with my beautiful family.

So we are basically trying to get into a routine. Charlie and Lily like to keep us on our toes though! For example, last night Charlie had a diaper blowout that resulted in poop on his back, legs and arms and earned him an emergency trip to the bathtub. Brooke got to handle that one, which was really only payback to her for sleeping through Lily's early morning diaper blowout the day before. I encountered this mess at 5:00 AM and called repeatedly upstairs to Brooke (who was in bed) for help. She replied numerous times, "Okay, be right there" but never came. It was only after I had Lily all cleaned up that I went upstairs and realized that Brooke had never even woken up and, in the morning, had no recollection of even talking to me. So we're getting into the routine of new parent exhaustion too! But one thing is certain: every dirty diaper and sleepless night is well worth it!

Yesterday morning I was surprised at work to find that my co-workers had planned a surprise "celebration" for me. They were careful not to call it a "baby shower." I was totally shocked by the whole thing, to say the least. I've known for years that the people at FTHS are very special, but the way that everyone has helped me through this past year has been beyond anything I could have expected. And what's more, there were as many people there at the "celebration" that I didn't know as there were people that I did know. All of those "strangers" told me that they've been following this blog and going through the journey with us. So to all of you, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.


When Lily is hungry she is quite entertaining. And apparently I'm mean enough that I would rather video my daughter making cute faces than get a bottle ready for her to make her happy.


Every now and again, one of the babies seems to get into an especially good mood. He/She will smile a lot and look around and give the impression that all is right in their world. Luckily, I had the video camera on Charlie during one of these moments.


Tucker is getting used to his new pack members. Today we found him laying in the back room with a pile of baby clothes.


And here's Tucker keeping an eye on The Bug.


Today I realized that the Cuddles and Naps Division can bring it's act onto the computer! I showed Charlie the joys of playing computer games. Some fathers dream of molding their sons into athletes-- my son will be a nerd!


Uncle John is learning quickly how to help out with the babies. He and Rebecca even took an infant CPR class today. We're so lucky to have the help!


My friends at school who planned the shower collected lots of money from our coworkers and then went and bought a bunch of Babies R Us gift cards, which my supervisor then tied to a mini Christmas tree. It was very creative.


Our favorite gifts from the shower were personalized baby outfits for Lily and Charlie. Aren't they great?!? Thanks Jamie!


And here's the cake! Nothing starts the day off right like a cake at 8:00 in the morning!



17 comments:

The Madeira Triplets said...

Love the post! I so remember that scene...the Medela Symphony sitting out, the diaper blowouts (wow...where do little bodies keep such large amounts of poo?). The sleeplessness combined with a blissful babymoon feeling! We used to feed our three at once and then try to burp them (we had fast and slow eaters so it usually worked out) but sometimes things wouldn't work out and I would have to call my hubby at night for backup and experienced much the same reaction! These days will pass so fast, and soon the babies will be turning one or two and you just can't believe how big they are. Cherish each moment--and you are already doing the most important thing, which is taking photographs and videos!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post. I was hysterical with the poop story. I remember those times... And the videos are great. Poor Charlie - he just wanted to go to to sleep and his smile was absolutely breathtaking.
Your shower made me cry. I am really soooo happy for you. Thank you co-workers from me as well for being such nice people to my precious big angel. Remember that love just grows through the years. It works for nephews as well just to let you know... You're still my angel Joe, just my big angel now...

All My Love, Auntie :) xoxoxoxo

Gretchen said...

Again, you never disappoint with the updates, I looked last night... nothing then I looked this morning and I was so happy to see that there is a post! First off Brooke you are doing an awesome job and still have time to go to the gym! I have 1 six yr. old and can't find the time, You're very good at managing your time! And to Joe, that must have been such a surprise and what awesome gifts you guys got for the babies! I love the Lily Bug and Charlie shirts (I think they're shirts) and it looks as if you are going to be able to go on a shopping spree at Toys'R'Us! Congrats and you are both WONDERFUL parents! (do you guys have a nickname related to squeaking for Lily? That is soooo cute! Oh and Charlies smile just melts your heart!) My daughter was very nocturnal for the first 2 weeks, it probably didn't help that the NICU was probably just as lit up at night as during the day.
Again, Congrats on your gorgeous family! (Oh, and I also found that after the first month things get a LOT easier... anyone I've talked to that has been a parent has said the same so know that it will get easier through the nights! It is well worth the sacrifices and now I cherish the memories of the time I spent in the rocking chair at night with my little one...)

Anonymous said...

LOVE the videos!! They're so sweet and so precious. I'm not sure how either of you do anything other than snuggle them all day. What a great start to my morning!

Quince Family said...

Yay! I love getting your blog updates and hearing about your days at home. I remember them all too well with my twin boys--it's amazing you have time to do anything at all (shower, eat, talk on the phone, etc) in between feedings/changings/cuddles. It's an exhausting routine that is truly an initiation period into the world of multiples! Sounds like the babies are doing great and I'm so happy you guys have such wonderfully supportive friends, family, and coworkers to help you. Keep the blog updates coming--they put a smile on my face!
Melissa (shady06)

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just wanted to tell you both how touching and sweet this blog is! I am simply a stranger (mother to 2 toddlers myself!) but I feel incredibly happy for you. The no sleep is painful, I do understand but it will get better. What nice co-workers you have and what a great idea w/the gift cards. Sending you my very best...

Anonymous said...

I've been following your blog for awhile, even though I'm a "stranger". It's wonderful to hear everything is going well at home. Joe, it sounds like you have fabulous co-workers! Continuing to keep you in my thoughts!

Stephanie said...

So glad to see the update- I have missed them! I am so glad you had a "celebration" at work! I like when places do that for the dads.

Diana Lopez said...

wow, its so great to read the updates and see the videos and photos of Charlie and Lily, they are getting big, love the big smile Charlie gave, god bless your Family.

Lauren Grace said...

It sounds as though you guys are getting quite a routine down, which is fabulous and it doesn't seem as though those monitors are driving you too crazy during the night! :) I swear, I used to say the Dr's had my son's programmed to go off at just the right intervals at night to wake me up! Now I laugh about it!!! :)

Keep up the GREAT work babies!!!!!!! ( and mommy and daddy too!)

Anonymous said...

I love all the pics and videos. The babies are both more beautiful every day. Brroke- girl, you are amazing, finding time to go to the gym. What's my excuse?! LOL. It's wonderful that you even find the time to keep this blog up, but it will be a wonderful thing to look back upon in future years. The "celebration" was a lot of fun-- thanks, Brooke, for your help! Enjoy the time together!

Cheryl

Christina H said...

Those videos are pretty much the cutest things ever in the history of cute. And at least Brooke was actually asleep. I've been, er, "asleep" a few times when Doug was up changing diapers :)

Rebecca, from CT said...

How sweet of your coworkers to throw you a "celebration"!!! The tree with gift cards, unique!! The cake sure looks yummy. LOVE the poop story!! My oldest daughter had an explosion just like that. She was nicknamed "Poopette" from then on!!!

happy_wife said...

I just love hearing about how well your family is doing!!

Your comment on "being a bad father to video Lily rather than make a bottle"?? My husband and I thought we made this great "game" of blowing in our son's face and he would make the sweetest/funniest faces....until my mother-in-law told us she thought he was making those faces because our son could "catch his breath". Great...

Mother of the Year!! Oops!!

The Lane Family said...

The exhaustion is all worth it and the adventures just get more fun!! What a fun Baby "party". Being a mom of a 3 year old and 17 month old twin girls we know all about the joys of sleep deprivation!!

Stephanie said...

I remember that exhaustion like it was yesterday, how funny about Brooke saying 'be right there' in her sleep! We have done that many many times around here! How sweet of your coworkers to have a shower...er...celebration for you. That is awesome. Enjoy every moment...I know you both are!

Katrina said...

Such a fun post to read and see the videos and pics of the babies and a very happy mom and dad!Off to go vote for my favorite multiples blog!