Saturday, September 25, 2010

A and B Week

This week Charlie and Lily learned about the letters A and B. I decided to alternate theme weeks with weeks that focus on the alphabet, so we kicked it off at the beginning with A and B. We read "Annie Ant Don't Cry" and "Busy Little Bee" and sang "Apples and Bananas."

For this week's art project, Charlie and Lily made apple prints. I sliced an apple in half and dipped each half in paint, then Charlie and Lily helped me press the apples onto paper to make their prints.
Since Charlie and Lily love balls, I knew we'd need to focus on them a bit for the letter B. My friend Colleen gave the babies a tent and tunnel that came with 100 balls for their birthday. I haven't set the tent up yet, but I grabbed the balls to use this week. I started by bringing their water table inside and filling it with balls, but they weren't all too excited by that. So I dumped all the balls in the pack n' play and put Charlie and Lily inside for a makeshift ball pit. That was a much bigger success.
We learned a bit about apples - the babies examined apples before tasting them.
Lily couldn't even wait for me to slice it. Since he still has no teeth, Charlie settled for sucking on his apple slice.
And finally - balloons! This afternoon Joe blew up a bunch of balloons for Charlie and Lily to play with. It was a fun ending to "A and B Week!"

5 comments:

E. Merritt said...

What great ideas!!!

Michele from FTHS said...

Brooke.....You could start your own pre-school. What cool ideas. And the babies are just adorable.

Anonymous said...

Be VERY careful with latex balloons - don't let them put the balloons in their mouths...
I like the makeshift ball pit much better than the one at Sesame Place - I went in that thing many many years ago for like 10 seconds - enough time to get both kids out of there... It smelled of urine and was wet - needless to say the kids never ventured in it again... Good idea with the home made one... Love love love all the pictures... Haven't been on in a while so I had to catch up...
All My Love, Auntie :) xoxooxox

Abbie said...

I love that you are doing educational things with your children! So many that I know who are stay at home moms do nothing but sit them in front of TVs. I think it is wonderful that you are giving your children a head start!

Anonymous said...

Great ideas!!! I might have to steal the apple craft.
@Abbie: I do not know one SAHM who plunks their child down in front of the TV, but thanks for the insult.