At 6:30 pm, Brooke's water broke. She is only 24 weeks and three days, so it's not ideal. We rushed to the hospital, and after lots of testing and waiting, they determined that she isn't going into labor just yet. However, the babies are coming sooner rather than later. Whether that means tomorrow or next week or next month, we don't know. But they're coming.
The doctors gave her a drug to stop the contractions and steroids to help the babies lungs grow faster. She's at St. Peter's Hospital again and she'll be there until after the babies come.
Baby A, our son, is the baby whose sack ruptured. The doctor did two ultrasounds and seems confident that Brooke will be able to produce enough fluids to keep him healthy for a while longer yet. Baby A is the lowest, up against Brooke's cervix, and she comments all the time about how she feels him "cervix dancing." Our son is a little trouble-maker already.
If they have to come soon, they can survive. But there will be many complications-- too many for me to worry about and still be expected to sleep. So we need to just hope that Brooke's body can hold out for a while longer, another few weeks yet. It's possible. The doctor said 50% of all women deliver within a week after their water breaking. We just need to hope that Brooke falls into the other half that holds out longer.
And to anyone who was planning on coming to Brooke's shower on Saturday, that is obviously being canceled. It probably wouldn't be too logical to have it while Brooke is in the hospital and everything is so up in the air. Thank you to all of you who were planning on coming-- we hope to see you all after the three healthy babies are born.